Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Life Full of Mindless Joys is Not Easy to Enjoy...

24 By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, 25 choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward.
(Hebrews 11: 25-26)

I've been reading.
It's funny how a night with a book and a cup of chai is so much more satisfying than the ordinary 3 hours with a computer and a tv is, isn't it?
It's interesting; there are so many things that capture our attention, and most of them don't have much that is concrete and thought-provoking to add to it. Aren't we called to think on the things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise? (Phil. 4:8)
So, why are our minds filled with endless thoughts of that cute guy over there, or what exactly happened on that tv show, or what all did go on last Saturday night, or what the heck just happened to Nick and Kendra?!? Things like this in my opinion are just another way to waste your life. Mark Helprin tells us that intellect, when focused on things like this, "has been sentenced to death. The mind you see is like a muscle. For it to remain agile and strong, it must work. Television rules that out."

Things like these are just taking up way too much of our time.
I know that I have been convicted of things like this- to be honest, my time is mostly spent on things like facebook and tv shows. I've been reading this book called "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper, and it's really showing me that my life can't be focused around mindless joys. My mind, my feelings, my life should be focused around what is pleasing and glorifying to Him. The mindless joy of tv, or a computer is not.... really glorifying Him, when I don't even taking 15 minutes out of my day to talk with Him.
Moses considered the Lord and the pursuit of Him to be worth far more than any amount of riches, fame, glory, respect etc, that he could have had through being the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He forsook it, because he was so in love with the Lord, and His promises. He put the Lord over his earthly joys and comfort, and in return he turned out to be one of the most respected men in the Bible. He is believed to have written the Torah, or in other words the first 5 books of the Old Testament, he is the one of the only people ever that have seen glimpses of the glory of God, and he is one of the 5 people that were allowed to be on the mountain during Jesus' transfiguration . He had such a close walk with God, and while he wasn't perfect by any means, he was definitely someone to look up to as an example.

There are so many people like this that have given up a lot to be with God. They love, and are faithful to Him, spot on pictures of true, Godly radiance,  some gave their lives for His sake, and look at me? I don't give Him even a few hours throughout the day for His glory. Reasoning? Oh yeah- lamest in the book. "I just don't feel like it."

If you really think about, in my pursuit towards "happiness" in the form of an iPod, or a computer... I am ultimately rejecting the only pure and true happiness I'll ever find. The Lord.

I have fallen short. I have turned aside from His generosity, and despised those perfect gifts that He has given me. Lord, don't let me continue in the life of the fast and easy but press on towards eternal happiness. Let my life reflect who You are and please, don't let me say at the end of my life on earth that I have wasted my life towards the attainment of mindless joys, and forsaken the true Lord.      

No comments:

Post a Comment